Robert Smith - Iowa Officer
|Agency||Iowa State Patrol|
|Dates of Service||Hired approximately 1988. Ended in 2018.|
|Last Known Status||Retired|
|Agency||Durant Iowa Police Department|
|Dates of Service||Ended July 22, 2019|
|Last Known Status||Resigned|
2017 Arrest of Bryce Yakish
On September 25, 2017, Smith pulled Yakish over for speeding on a motorcycle. After Yakish stopped, Smith approached Yakish with his gun drawn and struck Yakish, knocking him backward. Smith put his knee on Yakish's neck while handcuffing him.
Yakish was charged with eluding law enforcement.
The incident was captured on dash-cam video, which was released in 2019.
In 2018, Smith resigned from the Iowa State Patrol.
In 2019, the Cedar County Iowa Sheriff declared that Smith could not book any suspects into jail due to a lack of faith in his credibility.
In July 2019, Smith was placed on administrative leave by the Durant Iowa Police Department.
On July 22, 2019, Smith resigned from the Durant Iowa Police Department.
On July 30, 2019, the Cedar County attorney's office announced that charges in other cases would be dropped where Smith was the state's main witness.
In 2019, Yakish filed a lawsuit against the state and Smith, accusing him of violating his rights.
The charges against Yakish were dropped.
On April 5, 2021, Yakish's civil lawsuit was settled for $225,000.
In November 2021, Smith was indicted on a charge of violating Yakish's civil rights. As Yakish was injured, Smith could face a maximum of 10 years in prison.
On July 22, 2022, a mistrial was declared after the jury reported that they could not reach a unanimous verdict.
On September 26, 2022, Smith pleaded guilty to deprivation of rights under color of law. Smith faces up to one year in prison and a fine of up to $100,000.
On March 7, 2023, Smith was sentenced to two years of probation.
2018 Excessive Force
In August 2018, Smith took a woman to the ground during an arrest.
The incident was captured on video, which has not been released.
In July 2019, the woman filed a lawsuit against Smith.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Ryan Foley, Ex-Iowa trooper indicted, accused of violating motorcyclist’s civil rights during 2017 traffic stop, Des Moines Register, 2021-11-10
- ↑ 2.00 2.01 2.02 2.03 2.04 2.05 2.06 2.07 2.08 2.09 2.10 2.11 Francesca Block, Former Iowa state trooper pleads guilty to civil rights violation during 2017 traffic stop, Des Moines Register, 2022-09-28
- ↑ Robert Smith J, Trooper, Public Safety Department Of, govSalaries
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 4.4 4.5 Ryan Foley, Iowa officer resigns after video shows him striking biker, AP News, 2019-07-23
- ↑ Video shows Iowa trooper striking motorcyclist during stop, Quad-City Times, 2019-07-10
- ↑ Ryan Foley, Prosecutors dismiss cases tied to Iowa officer who resigned, AP News, 2019-07-30
- ↑ Ryan Foley, Iowa to pay $225,000 to settle lawsuit over trooper’s force, AP News, 2021-04-05
- ↑ Trish Mehaffey, Mistrial for ex-trooper charged with assaulting motorcyclist during traffic stop, The Gazette, 2022-07-22
- ↑ Noelle Alviz-Gransee, Former Iowa trooper sentenced to probation for use of force during 2017 traffic stop, Des Moines Register, 2023-03-15
Recent articles: Michael Pessoa, Caleb Savage, Matthew Willet, Thomas Degenstein, Elmer Lopez-Castaneda (2023)