|Agency||Kenosha Wisconsin Police Department|
|Dates of Service||Hired in 2013.|
|Last Known Status||Active|
According to his records, Sheskey earned 16 awards, letters, or formal commendations. Sheskey received two awards in June 2020.
2014 Vehicle Accident
In 2014, Sheskey made an illegal left turn and hit another vehicle.
2014 Vehicle Accident
Five months later, Sheskey hit a concrete pillar while backing his vehicle out of a parking space.
2014 Traffic Stop
In November 2014, Kenosha officers stopped a vehicle for a suspected kidnapping. Sheskey and another officer pulled the driver from the car, took him to the ground and handcuffed him.
The Deputy Chief wrote that the decision to drag the man from the car was "justified and appropriate".
2016 Vehicle Accident
In 2016, Sheskey was leaving a traffic stop and hit a light pole.
Sheskey was suspended for one day and ordered to attend additional training.
2017 Traffic Stop
In 2017, Sheskey and other officers stopped a man at gunpoint because he and his vehicle resembled the description of domestic violence suspect who had made a bomb threat. The man was handcuffed and released after officers verified that he was not the suspect.
The driver alleged discrimination in the stop.
The officers were cleared of any discrimination.
2020 Shooting of Jacob Blake
Other sources report that an argument broke out between the woman and a neighbor and that Blake had intervened.
Police knew there was a felony warrant for Blake on domestic violence and sexual assault charges.
Officers tried to arrest Blake, who resisted. Sheskey deployed his Taser, which was ineffective. Blake briefly put Sheskey in a headlock. Arenas deployed his Taser, which was also ineffective. Police reported that Blake had a knife and refused orders to drop it. Blake attempted to enter his SUV, and Sheskey shot him.
At the time of the incident, the department did not issue body-worn cameras. The incident was recorded on a witness' cell phone.
Blake was paralyzed from the shooting.
Sheskey and two other officers involved were suspended.
The Wisconsin Department of Justice's Department of Criminal Investigation led the investigation. The FBI, the Wisconsin State Patrol, and the Kenosha County Sheriff's Office assisted.
The results of the investigation were turned over to an independent consultant for review before being sent to prosecutors.
On March 25, 2021, Blake filed a civil lawsuit against Sheskey for use of excessive force.
On March 31, 2021, Sheskey returned to active duty.
On October 8, 2021, the U.S. Department of Justice announced that they would not pursue federal criminal civil rights charges against Sheskey "because the evidence obtained is insufficient to prove that the KPD officer willfully used excessive force".
In May 2022, Blake's family dropped their lawsuit against Sheskey. No reason was given.
On August 23, 2023, Blake filed a new lawsuit against the city, the former police chief, and several officers.
On September 8, 2023, Blake voluntarily dismissed his recent lawsuit.
- Victoria Albert, Officer who shot Jacob Blake identified, CBS News, 2020-08-27
- Rusten Sheskey T, City of Kenosha, govSalaries
- Christopher Brito, Kenosha officer who shot Jacob Blake returns to work, won't face any discipline, CBS News, 2021-04-14
- Report: 5 investigations of Wisconsin officer who shot Blake, ABC News, 2020-11-13
- UPDATE: Kenosha Officer Involved Shooting, Wisconsin Department of Justice, 2020-08-28
- Scott Glover, Lawyer says cop shot Jacob Blake after hearing a mother’s desperate plea: ‘He’s got my kid. He’s got my keys’, CNN, 2020-09-25
- 'God, I'm coming:' Jacob Blake speaks out about being shot by Kenosha police officer, ABC News, 2021-01-14
- RAW VIDEO: Jacob Blake police shooting, KARE 11, 2020-08-24
- Liz Nagy, Jacob Blake shooting: No charges for police officers, Kenosha braces for unrest, ABC 7, 2021-01-05
- Report on the Officer Involved Shooting of Jacob Blake, County of Kenosha District Attorney, 2021-01-05
- Jacob Blake files excessive force lawsuit against officer who shot him in the back, CBS News, 2021-03-26
- Federal Officials Close Review of the Officer-Involved Shooting of Jacob Blake, Department of Justice, 2021-10-08
- Jacob Blake's family drops federal lawsuit on Kenosha police officer Rusten Sheskey, CBS 58, 2022-05-07
- Jacob Blake Files Another Lawsuit Against City of Kenosha, WHBL, 2023-08-25
- Daniel Gaitan, Jacob Blake dismisses lawsuit against City of Kenosha, former chief and officers, Kenosha News, 2023-09-12