Orange County California Sheriff's Department
|Dates of Service||Hired in 2010.|
|Last Known Status||Resigned|
2017 Medal of Courage and Medal for Lifesaving
On March 23, 2017, Hortz received the Medal of Courage and Medal for Lifesaving after he and another deputy saved the life of a man who had crawled onto a 80' high ledge at a shopping center.
2020 Burglary Arrest
In the following weeks, Hortz returned several times to the house and stole firearms and other items. During at least one of the thefts, Hortz was on-duty.
The probate attorney handling the deceased homeowner's estate reported that a law enforcement officer may have stolen items from the home.
The incident was recorded by the house's surveillance cameras.
Hortz was placed on administrative leave.
On September 30, 2020, Hortz resigned in lieu of termination.
On December 22, 2020, Hortz was indicted by a grand jury on three felony counts of second degree burglary and two felony counts of grand theft of a firearm, and faces over four years in prison.
During the investigation, it was discovered that Hortz had previously stolen several credit cards from the house of a deceased woman in August 2020 and attempted to buy things with them.
On September 24, 2021, additional charges were filed, including one felony count of identity theft, one felony count of grand theft embezzlement, and four felony counts of attempted grand theft. Hortz faces over four years in prison on the charges.
In February 2022, Hortz pleaded guilty to one count each of felony second-degree burglary, felony grand theft of a firearm, misdemeanor burglary, misdemeanor identity theft, and misdemeanor grand theft by embezzlement. The four attempted grand theft charges were dismissed. Hortz was sentenced to four months in jail and two years' probation, during which he is ineligible to serve as a police officer.
- Christian Martinez, Former O.C. deputy pleads guilty to stealing from homes of dead man and woman, LA Times, 2022-02-28
- Steve Hortz, Deputy Sheriff, Orange County, govSalaries
- Greg Hardesty, OCSD honors 48 for lifesaving, courage and more at annual Medal of Valor luncheon, Behind the Badge, 2017-03-30
- Former Orange County Sheriff’s Deputy Indicted by Grand Jury For Stealing Guns, Burglarizing Home of Deceased Man, Orange County District Attorney, 2020-12-22
- Video shows O.C. sheriff's deputy stealing from dead man's house, Los Angeles Times, 2020-09-11
- Former Orange County Sheriff’s Deputy Charged with Stealing Deceased Woman’s Credit Cards in Attempt to Buy Thousands of Dollars in Automotive Parts, Orange County District Attorney, 2021-09-24