Anaheim California Police Department
|Last Known Status||Active|
2008 Death of David Abrams
On June 22, 2008, Abrams was staying in an Anaheim motel and was exposing himself to women and children through a window. When officers arrived, Abrams shot at them and fled in a vehicle.
On June 23, 2008, police attempted to stop a matching vehicle with a shot out rear window. Abrams refused to stop, and eventually crashed his car into another vehicle at a police traffic break. Abrams exited the vehicle and engaged in a gun battle with officers, including Panov. Abrams was killed.
Two bystanders were struck by police gunfire. In 2009, they filed a lawsuit, which was settled in 2010 for $300,000.
2014 Death of Steen Parker
On September 19, 2014, Parker and an accomplice stole several items from an electronics store. When confronted by the store's loss prevention officer, Parker pulled a gun, exited the store, and fled in a vehicle. Police located the vehicle after it had crashed and both occupants had fled. While fleeing, Parker entered a car in a parking lot and refused to surrender. SWAT and K9 units responded. Officers fired several OC gas rounds into the car, to no effect. Officers used rubber rounds to knock out the windows in the car and Panov had a clear view of Parker from a tactical vehicle parked about 8 feet away. An officer fired a beanbag round at Parker, who responded by firing at officers. Panov and several other officers returned fire, striking Parker. Paramedics on scene pronounced Parker deceased.
On June 8, 2015, the District Attorney determined that the shooting was reasonable and justified.
2021 Death of Brandon Lopez
On November 23, 2021, Lopez's family filed a claim against the city and officers involved in the shooting. Filing a claim is required before filing a lawsuit.
- Catalin Panov M City Of Anaheim, govSalaries
- Denisse Salazar, 91 freeway shooter had indecent exposure history, Orange County Register. 2008-06-24
- Anaheim Police Department Use of Force Report 2017, ACLU, 2017-12
- Rachanee Srisavasdi, Anaheim pays $300,000 to shootout bystanders, Orange County Register, 2010-11-01
- Officer Involved Shooting on Sept. 19, 2014, Office of the District Attorney, 2015-06-15
- Family Files Legal Claim in Man’s Killing by Anaheim PD, My News LA, 2021-11-23