Jesus Veleta (2021)
On July 23, 2021, San Diego California Police Department officers stopped a vehicle that matched the description of one used in two prior shootings. Veleta exited the vehicle with a gun in his hand and fled. Three officers, including Gregory Bergman and Anthony Guerra, chased Veleta, ordering him to drop the weapon. Veleta eventually fell to his knees and raised the gun towards the officers behind him, prompting Bergman and Guerra to fire their weapons. Officers rendered aid until the paramedics arrived. Veleta died at the hospital.
On March 14, 2022, the District Attorney cleared the officers as they "reasonably believed Veleta posed an imminent threat".
- Critical Incident Video, San Diego Police Department
- Lyndsay Winkley, San Diego County DA clears police, deputies in seven shootings, San Diego Union Tribune, 2022-07-01
- Critical Incident Video, San Diego Police Department, 2021-07-23
- SDPD releases video of fatal shooting at Talmadge-area strip mall, involving a ghost gun, CBS 8, 2021-08-02
- Jeff McDonald, Family of man killed by San Diego police files $20M claim against city, San Diego Union-Tribune, 2022-03-23
- Summer Stephan, Re: Fatal Shooting of Mr. Jesus Veleta, County of San Diego District Attorney, 2022-03-14