Aaron Bowman (2019)
On May 31, 2019, Ouachita Parish Louisiana Sheriff's Office Deputy Donovan Ginn stopped Bowman for an improper lane change. Bowman did not immediately stop, and Ginn claimed Bowman was uncooperative in exiting the vehicle and while being handcuffed. Louisiana State Police Trooper Jacob Brown arrived as he "was in the area and was trying to get involved".
Bowman claimed that Ginn and other officers beat him "terribly". Brown hit Bowman with the butt-end of his flashlight 18 times in 24 seconds. The flashlight had a pointed end, intended for shattering car windows.
Bowman suffered a broken jaw, three broken ribs, a broken wrist, and a cut to his head that required six staples.
The incident was captured on at least one officer's body-worn camera and Bowman's home security camera.
Brown claimed the blows were for "pain compliance" to allow troopers to handcuff Bowman.
Brown failed to report the use of force, and tagged his body-worn camera footage as a "citizen encounter".
Bowman's defense attorney was initially told that there was no video of the incident.
On October 19, 2020, Brown was placed on administrative duty.
On November 17, 2020, the department opened an investigation.
Investigators noted that Brown made "an intentional attempt to hide the video from any administrative review".
On December 10, 2020, Brown was charged with aggravated second degree battery and malfeasance in office.
On August 25, 2021, the department said that Brown "engaged in excessive and unjustifiable actions", failed to report the use of force, and "intentionally mislabeled" his body-worn camera video.
In October 2021, Brown pleaded not guilty.
On July 25, 2022, the charges against Bowman were dropped.
The incident was captured on Brown's body-worn camera.
- Jonathan Freeman, OPSO, Monroe Police, State Police named in excessive force lawsuit, myarklamiss.com, 2020-12-11
- Bowman v. Ouachita Parish Sheriff's Office, et al Second Amended Complaint, U.S. District Court, 2021-02-23
- Jake Bleiberg, ‘Pain compliance’: Video shows trooper pummeling Black man, AP, 2021-08-25
- Monroe-area state trooper resigns following multiple arrests involving excessive force, KNOE, 2021-03-12
- Ashley Mott,Louisiana trooper struck man 18 times in 24 seconds, concealed video: LSP warrant, News Star, 2020-12-011
- Bowman v OPSO et al Complaint, U.S. District Court, 2020-10-22
- Kevin McGill, Trooper faces battery, malfeasance charges in 2019 incident, AP, 2020-12-10
- Louisiana State Trooper arrested on charges of battery and malfeasance in office, KNOE, 2020-12-10
- Jake Bleiberg, Louisiana state trooper charged in pummeling of Black man, AP, 2021-09-24
- Louisiana State Police Officer Indicted on Federal Civil Rights Charge for Assaulting Arrestee, U.S. Department of Justice, 2021-09-23
- Jim Mustian, In Louisiana, a father, a son and a culture of police abuse, WAFB, 2021-10-26
- Matthew Segura, Charges against Aaron Bowman dropped months after officer’s indictment, KNOE, 2022-07-27
- ONLYONAP Video shows US trooper pummeling Black man, AP News, 2021-08-25