Dalvin Price (2020)
On May 31, 2020, Price was driving when he saw several police cars coming up behind him. Police claim that Price had been involved in looting a pharmacy. Price claims to have panicked due to the ongoing protests in the area, and drove his car onto a median. Price then fled on foot and hid. Los Angeles County California Sheriff's Department deputies Edwin Barajas, David Navarrete, and Edgar Cuevas chased and located Price. Price claims that he obeyed the officers' commands to put his hands up and get on the ground. One deputy knelt on Price's neck and another knelt on Price's back. Deputies kicked, punched, and kneed Price before handcuffing him.
Price was charged with suspicion of assault on a peace officer.
Price sought medical care after he was released, which showed that he received fractured ribs and bruising around his eyes, face, back, neck, and leg.
The incident was captured by a witness's cell phone video.
On February 2, 2021, Price filed a lawsuit against Los Angeles County, the Sheriff's Department, the city of Compton, and several deputies.
On November 10, 2021, the lawsuit was discussed in a closed session of the Liability Trust Fund Claims Board.
On December 9, 2021, Price and the County agreed to a settlement.
On June 8, 2022, the Liability Trust Fund Claims Board planned to discuss a proposed settlement of the lawsuit for $72,000.
On July 27, 2022, the federal lawsuit was dismissed.
- Price v County of Los Angeles, et al Complaint, Superior Court of the State of California, 2021-02-02
- Kimberly Cheng, Violent arrest caught on camera in Compton, sparking outrage, KTLA, 2020-06-03
- 3 LA County Sheriff's Deputies Under Fire By Compton Officials After Rough Arrest Caught On Video, KCAL, 2020-06-10
- Statement of Proceedings, Liability Trust Fund Claims Board, 2021-11-10
- Price v County of Los Angeles, et al Notice of Settlement, U.S. District Court, 2021-12-16
- Notice of Meeting, Liability Trust Fund Claims Board
- Price v County of Los Angeles, et al Order to Dismiss, U.S. District Court, 2022-07-27