Los Angeles County California Sheriff's Department
|Last Known Status||Active|
2017 Death of Ricardo Cendejas Jr.
On November 2, 2017, Cuevas and Deputy Samuel Aldama responded to a call of a man with a rifle. Cuevas claimed that he heard and felt a gunshot go off, and called for assistance. Cendejas eventually set down the rifle and walked into the street. Deputy Juan Rodriguez shot Cendejas, killing him.
2019 Death of Rickie Starks
On October 28, 2019, Starks' family sued the county in state court, claiming that the deputies were negligent in pursuing and firing on the vehicle during the chase, causing Starks' death.
On February 11, 2021, a judge ruled that the officers were not negligent, as their use of force was reasonable. The judge relied on the theory of transferred intent, not qualified immunity.
On June 25, 2021, the family appealed the judge's ruling in federal court, also claiming that the officers intentionally fired at Starks and the shooting was a rite of initiation for a police gang. Note that the judge in the opinion cites the date as May 25, 2021, which does not match the records retrieved from the court.
On October 28, 2021, the District Attorney determined that the deputies "acted in lawful self-defense and defense of others, and that Starks was not struck by deputy gunfire".
In December 2022, the family's lawsuit was assigned to mediation and the records were sealed.
2020 Arrest of Dalvin Price
On February 2, 2021, Price filed a lawsuit against Los Angeles County, the Sheriff's Department, the city of Compton, and several deputies.
On December 9, 2021, Price and the County agreed to a settlement.
- ↑ Edgar Cuevas S, Deputy Sheriff, Los Angeles County, govSalaries
- ↑ Cerise Castle, Friends of the DA, KNOCK LA, 2021-03-31
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 Starks v. Cnty. of L. A. Opinion, U.S. District Court, 2022-01-18
- ↑ Fatal Officer Involved Shooting of Rickie Starks, Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department, 2021-10-28
- ↑ Mary Starks v. County of Los Angeles et al 2:21-cv-05209, U.S. District Court
- ↑ Price v County of Los Angeles, et al Complaint, Giglio-Bradylist.com, 2021-09
- ↑ Price v County of Los Angeles, et al Notice of Settlement, U.S. District Court, 2021-12-16
Recent articles: Scott Birney, Christopher Shields, Adam Nguyen, Anna Perez, Marquis Fitzgerald