Keith Murriel (2022)
On December 31, 2022, Jackson Mississippi Police Department officers James Land, Kenya McCarty, and Avery Willis responded to a call and ordered Murriel to leave a hotel complex. Murriel walked to a neighboring business before returning. Officers took Murriel to the ground and attempted to handcuff him, using a Taser over a dozen times. Once Murriel was handcuffed, he resisted officers' attempts to put him into a police car.
Officers initially reported that they took Murriel into custody and he experienced a medical emergency and died at the scene.
Murriel's family claimed that he was critically injured and died after being physically assaulted by the officers.
The Mississippi Bureau of Investigation (MBI) opened an investigation.
The department opened an internal investigation.
In January 2023, Land, McCarty, and Willis were placed on administrative leave with pay.
In February 2023, McCarty was fired.
In April 2023, Murriel's family filed a lawsuit against officers Land, McCarty, Cazinova Reed, and Willis for using excessive force and failing to render aid.
The MBI completed their investigation and forwarded their results to the county District Attorney.
In April 2023, Willis, Land, and Reed were fired for a policy violation.
On May 24, 2023, a grand jury indicted several officers. McCarty and Willis were charged with second-degree murder. Land was charged with manslaughter.
The incident was captured on officers' body-worn cameras.
- Kaitlin Howell, Jackson police officer fired after man dies in custody, WJTV, 2023-02-08
- Biancca Ball, Three JPD officers on leave after man dies in custody, WJTV, 2023-01-04
- Long version: JPD body cam video from night Keith Murriel died, WAPT, 2023-05-26
- Biancca Ball, Family of man who died in JPD custody hires civil rights attorney, WJTV, 2023-01-31
- Keith Murriel's family files wrongful death lawsuit against JPD officers, WAPT, 2023-04-28
- Leah Williams, Three Jackson police officers fired for policy violation, WJTV, 2023-04-29
- Deena Zaru, 3 former Jackson Police Department officers charged with homicide in death of Keith Murriel, ABC News, 2023-05-25