Jackson Mississippi Police Department
|Dates of Service||Ended February 2023.|
|Last Known Status||Terminated|
2021 Drug Possession
On December 17, 2021, police responded to a call of people smoking marijuana in a park, and found off-duty officers McCarty and Darius Short in possession of marijuana and "paraphernalia".
The incident was captured on the responding officer's body-worn camera.
McCarty and Short were arrested and charged with possession of marijuana and an open container violation.
McCarty and Short were placed on paid administrative leave.
2022 Death of Keith Murriel
In January 2023, McCarty was placed on administrative leave with pay.
In February 2023, McCarty was fired.
In April 2023, Murriel's family filed a lawsuit against officers Land, McCarty, Cazinova Reed, and Willis for using excessive force and failing to render aid.
On May 24, 2023, a grand jury indicted McCarty for second-degree murder.
2023 Drug Possession
This incident occurred after McCarty had been fired.
On February 22, 2023, McCarty was arrested and charged with possession of marijuana, possession of a firearm, and an open container violation.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Kaitlin Howell, Jackson police officer fired after man dies in custody, WJTV, 2023-02-08
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 Howard Ballou, Police: 2 rookie JPD officers arrested after being found with marijuana at Flowood park, WLBT, 2021-12-20
- ↑ Biancca Ball, Three JPD officers on leave after man dies in custody, WJTV, 2023-01-04
- ↑ Keith Murriel's family files wrongful death lawsuit against JPD officers, WAPT, 2023-04-28
- ↑ Deena Zaru, 3 former Jackson Police Department officers charged with homicide in death of Keith Murriel, ABC News, 2023-05-25
Recent articles: Anthony Nigro, Curtis Tyra, Wallace Simmons, Derick Chandler, Scott Birney