Brockton Massachusetts Police Department
|Dates of Service||Ended January 2022.|
|Last Known Status||Retired|
2021 Negligent Driving
On May 15, 2021, Gomes was driving his department SUV on an on-ramp when he left the roadway, crashed into car that was stopped in the breakdown lane, and hit another vehicle that flipped onto its side.
A field sobriety test was not performed, and Gomes received no citations for the crash.
On September 20, 2023, Gomes submitted an "Alford plea", where he pleaded guilty but does not admit to committing the offense. Gomes was sentenced to six months of probation, after which the charge will be dismissed.
- Ryan Kath, Ex-Brockton Police Chief Appears in Court to Face Charge of Negligent Driving, NBC 10, 2022-09-21
- Emanuel Gomes C, City of Brockton, govSalaries
- Ryan Kath, Chief's Crash Kept Quiet, Raising Transparency, Special Treatment Concerns, NBC 10, 2022-05-12
- Ex-Brockton Police Chief to Face Negligent Driving Charge in 2021 Crash, NBC 10, 2022-07-18
- Chris Helms, In dramatic turn, ex-Brockton police chief enters Alford plea in crash case. What's that?, The Enterprise, 2023-09-20
- Criminal Procedure Rule 12: Pleas and plea agreements, Massachusetts Rules of Criminal Procedure