Sioux Falls South Dakota Police Department
|Dates of Service||Ended February 2022|
|Last Known Status||Terminated|
2018 Medal of Valor
On March 16, 2018, Schauer and two other officers received the Medal of Valor "for their quick and decisive actions in a life or death struggle" with an armed man.
2019 Lifesaving Award
In 2019, Schauer received the Lifesaving Award from the department.
2022 Child Pornography
Between January 18, 2022 and February 4, 2022, Schauer used social media to send several messages to an undercover FBI informant who was posing as a 12-year-old girl. Schauer sent several pictures of his genitals and requested nude photos of the girl.
On February 8, 2022, Schauer was interviewed by the FBI and admitted to sending and requesting the images.
On February 8, 2022, Schauer was arrested and charged with attempted production of child pornography and transfer of obscene materials to minors. Schauer faces up to 30 years in federal prison.
On February 8, 2022, Schauer pleaded not guilty.
By February 8, 2022, Schauer was fired.
On September 6, 2022, Schauer pleaded guilty to attempted enticement of a minor using the internet. Schauer faces 10 years to life in prison.
On January 19, 2023, Schauer was sentenced to 10 years in prison.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 Former Sioux Falls police officer facing child pornography charges, Dakota News Now, 2022-02-09
- ↑ Makenzie Huber, Sioux Falls Police officers receive Medal of Valor for struggle with armed man, Sioux Falls Argus Leader, 2018-03-16
- ↑ 2019 Annual Report, Sioux Falls Police Department
- ↑ Sioux Falls Man Charged with Attempted Production of Child Pornography and Transfer of Obscene Materials to Minors, U.S. Attorney's Office, 2022-02-11
- ↑ Alfonzo Galvan, Former Sioux Falls police officer takes plea deal for enticement of minor, Sioux Falls Argus Leader, 2022-09-07
- ↑ Trent Abrego, Ex-Sioux Falls police officer sentenced to 10 years for enticing a minor, Sioux Falls Argus Leader, 2023-01-19
Recent articles: Michael Pessoa, Caleb Savage, Matthew Willet, Thomas Degenstein, Elmer Lopez-Castaneda (2023)