Carroll Iowa Police Department
|Dates of Service||August 2020 - March 26, 2021.|
|Last Known Status||Resigned|
Eagle Grove Iowa Police Department
|Dates of Service||April 2021 - August 2021|
|Last Known Status||Terminated|
Note: Pacheco was not a law enforcement officer during the first incident.
2021 Inappropriate Interactions
On February 23, 2021, Pacheco "may have had inappropriate interactions with a minor".
On March 14, 2021, Pacheco "may have had inappropriate interactions with an acquaintance of the minor".
Pacheco resigned from the Carroll Police Department.
2021 Policy Violations
Pacheco made an "inflammatory remark" to a witness by stating that he could shoot people rather than arresting them.
Pacheco was fired from the Elk Grove Police Department.
Note: Pacheco was not a law enforcement officer during the remaining incidents.
From February to April 2022, Pacheco contacted a woman against her will by sending her messages, visiting her work and home, stealing her security camera, and attempting to contact her through others. In April 2020, Pacheco sent her several handwritten and electronic messages, including an explicit picture of himself. Pacheco drove a vehicle through the woman's yard.
Pacheco admitted to punching a man in the face.
Pacheco was charged with harassment, stalking, criminal mischief, theft, and false imprisonment.
In July 2022, Pacheco pleaded guilty to felony willful injury and misdemeanor stalking.
In December 2022, Pacheco was convicted of felony willful injury and misdemeanor stalking.
Pacheco was sentenced to seven years in prison and five years of probation. The prison term was suspended.
Pacheco was arrested and charged with felonies for robbery, burglary, theft, assault, and stalking.
Pacheco entered a plea as part of the next incident.
In September 2022, Pacheco surrendered his peace officer certification.
2022 Witness Tampering
In October 2022, Pacheco contacted the woman in the earlier incident and made "threats of bodily injury and violence … with the intent to interfere with the prosecution".
On November 17, 2022, Pacheco was arrested and charged with felony extortion, felony stalking, and misdemeanor tampering with a witness.
While in jail, Pacheco asked his mother to contact the woman.
Pacheco pleaded guilty to felony burglary in the prior incident and misdemeanor tampering with a witness in this incident.
On February 1, 2023, Pacheco was sentenced to an additional 12 years in prison and five years of probation. The prison term was suspended.
Journalist Jared Strong earned a first place Harrison "Skip" Weber Investigative Reporting Award for his coverage of these incidents.
- Jared Strong, Officer resigns for contact with minor, Carroll Times Herald, 2021-06-15
- Jared Strong, Ex-cop gets probation for burglary, witness tampering, Iowa Capital Dispatch, 2023-02-09
- Jared Strong, Ex-cop who pleaded guilty to stalking a woman faces numerous felonies, Iowa Capital Dispatch, 2022-09-20
- Clark Kauffman, Iowa police officer fired for switching off body camera amid unruly crowd, Iowas Capital Dispatch, 2022-03-14
- Jared Strong, Prosecutors to seek prison for ex-cop who wants probation, Iowa Capital Dispatch, 2022-12-20
- Jared Strong, Ex-cop avoids prison, but more criminal charges loom, Iowa Capital Dispatch, 2022-12-29
- Jared Strong, Ex-cop accused of threatening witness against him, Iowa Capital Dispatch, 2022-11-23
- Times Herald earns honors at Better Newspaper Contest, Carroll Times Herald, 2022-05-04