Camden County Georgia Sheriff's Office
|Dates of Service||Ended January 12, 2023|
|Last Known Status||Terminated|
2022 Officer of the Month
In March 2022, Newman was named Officer of the Month after she did an "incredible job de-escalating a situation" at a campground.
2022 Assault of Charis Faria
On January 16, 2022, Newman pulled Faria over for failing to stop at a stop sign. Faria refused to get out of her vehicle. Newman yanked Faria from the vehicle and threw her to the ground. Another officer Tased Faria as Newman handcuffed her. Newman hit Faria in the face and rammed her head into the police vehicle.
In her report, Newman claimed that Faria "proceeded to resist arrest by jerking my arm in (an) attempt to break away from me".
The incident was captured on Newman's body-worn camera and in-vehicle camera.
On January 19, 2022, Newman was suspended for two days without pay, received additional training on the use of force, and was placed on probation for 6 months.
The Georgia Bureau of Investigation opened an investigation.
On January 11, 2023, a grand jury indicted Newman for aggravated assault, simple battery, making a false statement, and three counts of violation of oath by public officer.
On January 12, 2023, Newman was fired.
2022 Arrest of Scunickenyatta Jenkins
The sheriff's office determined that the deputies had not violated any policies.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 Jake Shore, Grand jury indicts fired Camden County deputy for violent traffic stop, The Current, 2023-01-12
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Robert Grant, VIDEO: Camden Co. deputy hits driver during traffic stop, NAACP calls for removal, CBS 47, 2022-08-26
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 Camden County deputy indicted on charges related to January 2022 traffic stop, News 4 JAX, 2023-01-12
- ↑ New bodycam footage offers different angle from controversial Camden County traffic stop, News4JAX, 2022-08-26
- ↑ Disciplinary Documents, Camden County Sheriff's Office, 2022-01-19
- ↑ Jake Shore, Camden traffic stop leads to Black passenger’s arrest, controversy, The Current, 2022-08-23
Recent articles: Scott Birney, Christopher Shields, Adam Nguyen, Anna Perez, Marquis Fitzgerald