Atlanta Georgia Police Department
|Dates of Service||Hired in 2006.|
|Last Known Status||Suspended|
2010 Reckless Conduct
In 2010, Vickers entered a restaurant carrying an assault rifle, in an attempt to assist a security guard with three unruly patrons. Vickers was off-duty. Vickers chambered a round in the rifle and pointed it at three men.
Vickers was placed on administrative leave for a few days.
Vickers was charged with reckless conduct.
2019 Arrest of Tyler Griffin
On April 5, 2019, Officer Matthew Abad pulled Griffin over for suspicion of drinking and driving. Abad ordered Griffin from the vehicle at gun point. Griffin exited the vehicle and brushed Abad's hand away, prompting Vickers to sprint in and tackle him. Griffin's ankle was broken during the incident.
The incident was captured by Abad's body-worn camera.
Griffin filed a complaint with the department.
In December 2019, Vickers was cited by the department for violating police policies, including temporarily turning off his body camera and failing to provide medical attention. The city exonerated Vickers for the use of unnecessary force.
On June 15, 2022, Griffin filed a lawsuit.
On August 16, 2022, Vickers was charged with aggravated battery and violation of oath by a public officer.
Vickers was relieved of duty after the indictment.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 Joyce Lupiani, Atlanta police officer accused of breaking man’s ankle in 2019 indicted, KION 46, 2022-08-17
- ↑ Donald Vickers P, Police Officer, City Of Atlanta, govSalaries
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5 3.6 Jozsef Papp, Atlanta police officer indicted, relieved of duty following 2019 incident, Atlanta Journal-Constitution, 2022-08-17
- ↑ Christian Boone, APD officer faces possible suspension after carrying rifle into Underground Atlanta, Atlanta Journal-Constitution, 2010-10-21
- ↑ Former Atlanta police chief says officer should have been off force before breaking man's ankle, 11Alive, 2021-06-22
Recent articles: Scott Birney, Christopher Shields, Adam Nguyen, Anna Perez, Marquis Fitzgerald